Rugby is a sport that is gaining in popularity. Whilst you may not require a lot of rugby equipment to begin playing, the equipment you need is of the utmost importance. After all, rugby is a high contact sport, and therefore it is vital that you are protected whilst playing. If you do not buy the right equipment you could end up getting seriously injured. Moreover, it is not all about being protected. After all, if you don’t have a rugby ball, how can you play the game at all? Keeping that in mind, read on to discover everything you need to know about the various items to purchase…
There is only one place to begin and this is with the protective equipment you need to purchase if you are to enjoy this game. The last thing you want is to take a trip to the hospital! There are various different rugby equipment items you will need to protect yourself. A gum shield is a must. This will protect your gums and teeth during the game. After all, no one wants to lose their teeth, do they? Aside from this, you should also consider buying headgear, as this will protect you from impact injuries that could turn fatal. Lightweight head protection proves to be beneficial in a whole host of situations, especially during scrums and tackles. Aside from this, make sure you buy pads for your upper body. These are lightweight and designed to protect your shoulder and your chest, otherwise you could end up in great pain when tackled. It is worth pointing out that all of this equipment has been designed to protect you yet it will not be detrimental to your performance, since technology has advanced to such an extent whereby you will hardly be able to tell you are wearing any extra padding or layers. Despite all of this equipment, finding a good physio, like Precision Sports Physical Therapy, is a good idea to ensure you can keep your body in top condition and recover from injuries as quickly and effectively as possible.
It may sound like an obvious purchase but of course you cannot enjoy the sport of rugby if you do not have the correct ball. It is worth noting that you will have several different types of balls on the market to choose from. There are recreational balls, which are designed for mere fun, and there are training balls and competitive match balls. It is vital to buy the right ball in relation to how it is going to be used. We’ll provide comprehensive advice on this in the next section.
Rugby Clothes and Boots
Last but not least, you need the correct clothing and boots. Let’s begin with the latter. Rugby boots are designed in order to provide extra protection to the ankle, which is why they have a higher cut. Nonetheless, if you are going to play backfield, you may want to go for a lower cut, as you will be running more. When it comes to rugby clothes, the top is almost sculpted to the body. This is to spot your opponents from gripping you. The special fabric used is ideal for a sport involving a lot of tugging and rough play. Yet the fabric is comfortable enough so that you can manoeuvre around with ease.
More Information on Buying a Rugby Ball
Read on to discover what factors must be taken into account when shopping for rugby balls…
- Size – First and foremost, you must ensure you purchase a ball that is of the right size. A lot of people simply assume that all rugby balls are the same size. However, this is not the case. You generally have four different options to choose from. These are as follows – size 5, size 4.5, size 4, and finally size 3. The latter is suited to mini rugby i.e. under 9, under 8, and under 7. A size 4 rugby ball is for junior rugby. Those playing women’s rugby will use a ball that is 4.5 in size, whilst size 5 rugby balls are for men’s rugby. Thus, you shouldn’t find it too difficult to locate the right sized ball for you.
- Purpose – Secondly, once you have considered the size of the ball, the next thing you need to do is make sure the ball you select is correct in relation to its purpose. You are probably thinking ‘well, surely the purpose is to play rugby?’ – However, in this instance you need to determine the type of rugby. For instance, are you purchasing a ball for a competitive match or are you simply looking to have a bit of fun? If you are merely going to play rugby for enjoyment, you can purchase a recreational ball. Nonetheless, match balls are ideal for a serious game, whilst training balls are evidently suited to training sessions.
- Brand – The next aspect you should take into account is the brand of the ball. This is important because a well-known and high quality brand is likely to equate to a ball that is of an exceptional standard as well. There are lots of sports brands that have an incredible name in the world of rugby. This includes the likes of Canterbury, Mitre, Kooga, and of course Gilbert. If you purchase your rugby ball from one of these brands you are assured to be happy with the product you receive.
Price – The final factor you should consider is the price of the ball. Don’t make the mistake many people do by simply going for the cheapest rugby ball you can find, as this is likely to indicate a lack of quality. Instead, assess the prices and opt for a fair deal. If you are looking to save some money, why not shop in the sale section? You will be able to pick up a ball from last season at a highly discounted rate, ensuring you still reap high levels of quality.
How to find the best place to purchase high quality rugby equipment from
When playing any sport it is imperative that you invest in equipment that is of the highest standard. After all, this ensures you feel comfortable and that your performance is enhanced. Nonetheless, we don’t all have endless pits of money to spend on such items. Thus, keeping that in mind, read on to discover some top tips for finding the best place to purchase rugby equipment from…
- Good Sale Section – Let’s deal with the price factor first. There is no denying that rugby equipment can be very expensive. However, if you go for the cheaper items you are likely to suffer at the hands of a lack of quality. So, what is the solution? Instead, look for a company that has an excellent sale section. By doing this you will be able to purchase last season’s stock at highly reduced prices. You know that these balls, mouth guards, protective layers and so on and so forth, are still going to be of a top standard. New products and new designs have simply replaced them.
- Good Reputation – You should also take five to ten minutes to read reviews that have been left by previous customers. This is the only way to get an honest insight into the degree of quality the company provides. You will see whether consumers think the product that was delivered to their door was as good as the one they saw on their computer screen. Moreover, you will also discover whether the company was timely with their delivery, easy to deal with and such like.
- Product Selection – It is important to make sure the company has the full scope of rugby equipment you require. You don’t want to have to purchase rugby clothing from one store, a ball from another store, and training equipment from another. You thus need to make sure the company has everything you could possibly require.
- Delivery Terms – The next thing you should look out for is the company’s delivery terms. This is something a lot of people overlook and they end up regretting it because they have to wait weeks and weeks for their product to arrive.
- Brands – Last but not least, the final thing you should assess is what brands the company sells. If they sell a selection of top quality brands you can be certain that their products are going to impress as well. When it comes to rugby, some of the brands you should be looking out for include the likes of Gilbert, Mitre, Canterbury, Puma and Webb Ellis.
To conclude, from the brands sold to their reputation, if you carefully consider the five points that have been mentioned you should have no issue finding the ideal rugby store online for you.