Coronavirus COVID-19: What Employees Need to Know
Prevent Sexual Harassment
MLB: Greatest Calls
Join 1,528 other subscribers
Twitter UpdatesTweets by SportsArchives
The Sports Archives
The Sports Blogs
Sports Bloggers Welcomed
We will promote your content with links if worthy. Send to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Baseball (142)
- Basketball (84)
- Bodybuilding (29)
- Boxing (61)
- College Basketball (42)
- College Football (66)
- Cricket (29)
- E-Sports (9)
- Fitness/Wellness (157)
- Football (160)
- Golf (121)
- Hockey (68)
- Horse Racing (42)
- Indoor Sports (6)
- Motorsports (72)
- Olympics (130)
- Other (515)
- Racing (5)
- Rugby (37)
- Soccer (163)
- Tennis (77)
Top Posts & Pages
- The Sports Archives – How You Can Delve Into the World of Dirt Bikes
- The Sports Archives – Tips To Grow Your Local Sports Club
- The Sports Archives – How To Get Involved In Your Sporting Community
- The Sports Archives – How to Get Started in a New Sport and Be Successful: Tips and Tricks for Beginners
- The Sports Archives – Technical Skating Vs. Tactical Skating Infographic
- The Sports Archives – 6 Tips When Starting Athlete Boxing Training
- The Sports Archives – How to Set and Achieve Your Personal Growth Goals
- The Sports Archives – Tricks For Post-Workout Recovery
- The Sports Archives – How To Dress Your Home For A Sports Game Or Event
- The Sports Archives – How To Throw A Fun Game Day With Friends
ESPN Top Headlines
- A day in the life of Broadway Joe Namath, octogenarian
- Kickoffs set to start ESPN's college football slate
- Pats' Slater rips kickoff rule, doubts NFL motives
- Penske replacing fan's car damaged by flying tire
- No. 2 recruit Holland joining G League Ignite
- Belichick takes blame for Patriots' OTA violation
- No Waze! Federer voices nav app in 3 languages
- Alcaraz overcomes blip, moves into third round
- Tigers' Greene to IL with stress fracture in fibula
- An invisible advantage is fueling the Nuggets' NBA Finals run
Sports Collectors Daily
- PSA Lays Off 11 Employees
- Panini Offices Burglarized, Damaged
- Pacific Trading Cards Founder Mike Cramer Set to Release Book
- Shop Talk: 2003-04 SPx Basketball Flashbacks, Buying Bednar, Revisiting Upper Deck Football
- Sports Card Release Calendar 5/31/23 – 6/13/23
- Notes: Dating Michael Jordan Rookie Card Photos; Big $ for ’69 Basketball; Fanatics Jobs; Tim Talks Autographs
- Rick Mirer Q&A: Collecting 80s Rookie Cards, Deals with Classic, Quarterback Challenge Memories
- Mistake By The Lake – The Cardboard Legacy of the NHL’s Cleveland Barons
- Better Than a Box: Jimmy Buckets Over Slim Boxes
- Notes: New Light on Ruth/1916 World Series Tickets; Early Koufax Glove; Witt Jr. & PSA; New Life for Cobb Book
The Sports Archives – How To Become A Writer Of A Sports Column
Press Room at the Philips Stadion
Sports writers play a crucial role when it comes to connecting fans with their favorite teams. Sports writers are expected to write an in-depth coverage on about teams and their performances. Besides journalistic writing about the game, reporters cover other aspects such as team transactions, coaching techniques and other news about the team. Sports writers have numerous opportunities including sports news websites, sports team websites, and starting their sports blog. However, to be a great writer of a sports column, one needs to have certain core competencies. The following are some ways to become an outstanding writer of a sports column.
I. Broaden your understanding of sports in general
Sports is like any other business. Sports writers need to have an in-depth understanding of sports as a business to be able to write about it thoroughly. Sports does not involve tournaments alone, there other several activities including public relations, transactions, sponsorship, and marketing among others. A great sports writer should be able to write about any given field.
II. Consider taking sports journalism as your major
Specializing in sports journalism will help you to acquire a broad knowledge base in sports. Sports journalism will allow you to watch and attend various sports activities. You can also associate yourself with a particular team and cover their events. Becoming part of the team will enable you to familiarize yourself with sports mechanics such as sports rules, strategies used to winning games, and player’s positions in the field.
III. Get a good editor of your work
You need to have an editor who will go through your story and point out some of the mistakes. Editors will improve your job, and they help in improving your writing skills as time goes. Good editors can also become your mentors.
IV. Read columns written by other writers
Read other author’s work to improve your writing. Consider reading columns written by good writers. Find jobs belonging to award-winning sports journalists and read them repetitively to be able to improve your writing skills. Reading great sports stories will encourage you to improve your writing. Besides reading columns written by other writers, you can also read sports articles, books, and opinion pieces. Extensive reading will expose you to writing skills and ingenuity that is required to succeed in this field.
V. Improve your research skills
A good sports column writer should be in a position to research well and write stories based on facts rather than gossips. Research properly on a given topic and write an authentic story. Remember to use relevant sources and official documents to support your story.
VI. Connect with your target audience
A good sports writer needs to write to a particular audience. The audience can be sports fans in general or fans of a particular sport. You need to convey a story that suits your target audience. The fans can consist of sports professionals, fans of a particular sport, or fans of general sports. The story should give readers the urge to read more of the writer’s stories. You ought to strive to develop a loyal following of readers.
VII. Consider obtaining a journalism
A journalism degree will give you a basic training needed to succeed in this field. Take journalism and communication programs that fit your field of interest. The program should provide you with courses that will earn you professional qualifications such as media law. You can also undertake a degree in other fields such as history, sociology, and psychology among others to give yourself an edge in the area of journalism.
Sports writing involves accelerated growth and development as time passes. Writers will be able to gain new skills and techniques as they keep writing. However, successful sports journalists possess core competencies that have been described above. Utilize those skills and make your writing better.
This article was prepared by Edusson writers.
Photo Credit – Wikipedia Commons