Conn Smythe Fonds [Public domain or Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons
From its humble beginnings a century ago, the NHL has grown into a world-famous, billion-dollar industry. TV deals, prize money and the investment of wealthy benefactors have combined to make lucrative franchises of the NHL and its participating teams.
Below are excerpts from the infographic provided by tuckerhockey.com.
- The NHL is the 5th most lucrative sports league in the world, with a cumulative revenue of $3.7 billion.
- The average annual salary for a player in the NHL is $2.4 million.
- NHL finances have been greatly boosted by the 2011 10-year NBC deal and the 2013 12-year Rogers Communications deal.
- As of 2018, the New York Rangers are the most valuable team in terms of dollars and the Toronto Maple Leafs are a close second.
- Some of the highest paid players in the 2017/2018 NHL season are Jonathan Toews, Sidney Crosby, Patrick Kane and Alex Ovechkin.
- In 2016, the Vegas Golden Knights became the 31st member of the NHL, paying a massive $500 million for the franchise.